HOW TO PLUS IT FORWARD
- Print yourself some Plus It Forward cards.
- Do something nice for someone, then give them a card so THEY can do it, too.
- To inspire even more people, share your story on Twitter with @PlusItForward!
HOW IT STARTED
Plus It Forward, a spin on the widely popular concept of Pay it Forward, was created in 2013 with the intent of spreading kindness through random acts and empowering others to do the same. Kindness can be spread anytime, anywhere, for little or no money; and the ripple effect of these acts live on and leave a priceless impact on someone’s life. It’s so simple, yet so powerful.
“The intention of Plus It Forward Day is simply to do good things for other people,” states Dave Larson, Affinity Plus President/CEO. “Our hope is that by scattering kindness, more kindness will be the result; whether you’re a giver who keeps on giving, or a receiver who wants to Plus It Forward and share kindness with someone else.”
2017 is the fourth anniversary of Plus It Forward Day. This year, Affinity Plus will send approximately 500 employees into communities across MN to make an important impact on local level, participating in service projects, supporting charities and non-profits, and scattering kindness in a variety of ways.
Plus It Forward Day takes place in October on Columbus Day, which is a federal holiday, and many banking institutions are closed.
In 2015, Affinity Plus began reaching out to other credit unions seeking broader participation within the industry to showcase the cooperative spirit.
- In 2015, 14 credit unions collaborated on Plus It Forward Day. Nearly 1,000 credit union employees dedicated more than 6,200 total volunteer hours to scatter kindness, impacting more than 18,000 people in 36 communities (along with an indeterminable amount of community members; food recipients from Feed My Starving Children; and law enforcement & military families across the country).
- In 2016, 25 Minnesota credit unions joined forces to spread kindness across the state for the fourth annual Plus It Forward Day. Through this collaborative effort, more than 1,200 credit union employees and members dedicated 7,300 total volunteer hours, impacting an estimated 22,000+ people in more than 65 communities around the state. Save the date for the next Plus It Forward Day – Monday, Oct. 9, 2017. Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton proclaimed 10/10/16 to be Plus It Forward Day in the State of Minnesota.
- In 2017, Affinity Plus was approached by the Minnesota Credit Union Network, our state’s industry trade association, wanting to grow Plus It Forward Day participation to include an even larger group of credit unions, thus increasing the impact on local communities. With acknowledgement that Affinity Plus created this day in 2012, MnCUN has rebranded the day CU Forward Day and has used its connections to Minnesota credit unions to generate broader participation.