Affinity Plus continues kindness outreach with fourth-annual Plus It Forward Day Monday, Oct. 10
September 28, 2016
ST. PAUL, Minn. (Sept. 28, 2016) – More than 540 Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union employees will spread kindness across Minnesota Monday, Oct. 10, as part of its fourth-annual Plus It Forward Day.
This year, Affinity Plus will be one of 25 Minnesota credit unions whose staff have picked up on the Plus It Forward spirit.
Together, an estimated 1,200 credit-union volunteers will directly assist nearly 22,000 people in 65 communities statewide by building and repairing; cleaning and organizing; cooking and serving; thanking and sharing small gifts; and much more, said Dave Larson, Affinity Plus president/CEO.
“Plus It Forward Day is simple: We are intentional about doing good for other people,” Larson said. “Each year we step away from our day-to-day routines and engage the community beyond the walls of our credit unions. As we do, we remind ourselves that being kind is a simple, but profound, act. Kindness can change someone’s day. It can change a life.”
FEDERAL HOLIDAY BECOMES DAY OF KINDNESS
Affinity Plus founded Plus It Forward Day in 2013 as a day to scatter kindness in communities across Minnesota. Like many financial institutions, the credit union’s 28 branches and other offices are closed on that day. But instead of a day off, Affinity Plus employees spent eight hours volunteering in their communities across Minnesota.
Over the past three years, Plus It Forward Day has elevated the core cooperative business principles of people helping people and active community engagement, Larson said. In 2015, Plus It Forward Day evolved to include 14 credit unions in the day’s events. In 2016, it has grown to 25 credit unions.
“Plus It Forward Day is an extension of what credit unions do every day. But we believe our shared efforts have planted new seeds of kindness across Minnesota,” Larson said. “We’ve seen directly that givers keep on giving; kindness becomes their way of life. Recipients often are inspired and they are encouraged to share kindness as well.”
In several communities, Plus It Forward will bring together partners to collaborate on specific volunteer activities. Credit unions in Rochester, Minn., Faribault, Minn., and Alexandria, Minn., will work side-by-side on various initiatives, from serving senior citizens, thanking police departments and firefighters, and participating with large organizations such as Habitat for Humanity.
PLUS IT FORWARD DAY EXAMPLES
- In Minneapolis, the Investor Relations team will spend the day at the Veteran’s Home winterizing outdoor areas and doing lawn and garden care. Indoors, the team will help set up and run a Mardi Gras-themed celebration for veterans and adult daycare residents.
- In Brainerd, branch staff will hold a thank-you community BBQ for firefighters and local law enforcement. They will pass out $5 grocery store gift cards to local shoppers with Plus It Forward cards that encourage recipients to “do something nice for someone else.”
- In Winona, branch staff will partner with Habitat for Humanity and the Dan Corcoran House to complete home projects. Later in the day they will do “random acts of kindness” by handing out flowers, taping quarters to vending machines and chalking positive messages on sidewalks.
- In Duluth, branch staff will partner with the city’s Parks and Recreation department to clean up storm damage. They will partner with Habitat for Humanity to complete home projects and deliver to the Fire Department funds collected in the branch for its employee-assistance fund.
- In Mankato, branch staff will prepare and serve lunch at the Salvation Army and prepare winter-readiness packs for the organization’s “Bundle Me Warm” program. Later that day, the team will visit a nursing home and participate in afternoon activities with residents.
2013, 2015 RECOGNITION FOR PLUS IT FORWARD
Affinity Plus has been recognized for its Plus It Forward efforts. In 2013, the Minneapolis – St. Paul Business Journal presented Affinity Plus its Jefferson Award for Corporate Giving. In 2015, Minnesota Business Magazine presented Affinity Plus its Community Impact Award for Best in Class – Large Company. The latter award recognizes companies for overall excellence in positively impacting Minnesota communities.
ABOUT AFFINITY PLUS
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit, financial cooperative that puts people first above profits. Members of Affinity Plus receive maximum value through competitive rates, minimal fees, and unique, member-centric products and programs. Based in St. Paul, Minn., Affinity Plus has 28 branches located throughout Minnesota and is owned by more than 185,000 members. Affinity Plus has over $1.7 billion in assets and $3.5 billion in assets under management. Additional information is available at www.affinityplus.org or by calling (800) 322-7228.